CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 10, 2009

130/365 A Gift for Mothers: A Day


We don't really do holidays. The dates on the calendar are so arbitrary. Hallmark decided that today we should honor our mothers. For some reason we celebrate our country on July 4th, even though the Declaration of Independence wasn't signed before August 2. Christmas may or may not be on December 25th, according to many theologians. I refuse to allow myself to be sucked into the machine, emptying my wallet in sync with the rest of the country. If I see fit to get a gift for myself or for a family member or friend, I do it. It doesn't have to be a special day on the calendar. Today, in my backyard, on my raft, beneath a blue sky, I celebrate mothers, fathers and grandparents, honor our veterans, remember the fallen, praise a deity, or salute the flag. Every day is a holiday. Every day is a gift.

2 comments:

MJ said...

We have it pretty good around here: looking up at that same sky.

BJNR said...

We had a beautiful sky here as well. Must have been all the good vibes you sent!! Happy Everything Day!! As the old saying goes, "Everyday is a gift, that's why we call it the present!" Enjoy!!