CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Gettin' my groove back...

Eight years out of the classroom can be a long time, but didn't really step out of the loop pedagogically. In fact, some of my presentations the last few years have been on the most trendy educational topics such as Differentiated Instruction and Response to Intervention. My chops were in reasonably good shape when I unexpectedly landed back in a classroom in October, but I still felt a bit rusty. My lessons felt shallow and ineffective, rushed and meaningless to the kids. I fretted over this considerably. Was I fraudulently doling out advice to teachers, just spinning tales like a stereotypical consultant? When I reentered the classroom I promised myself not to be the martyr, the super-teacher, the rebel, or the overachiever. I swore that below the radar was exactly where I wanted to be. And I still do. But in my desire to lay low I thought I'd march to the tempo and tune of the "learning calendar." This cyclical, shallow, fragmented, one-size-fits all prescription for best practices is anything but. I'm not interested in rebel, martyr, or overachiever, but I need to do what I know is right. With the collaboration of my co-teacher and the blessings of my administrator I've been striking out with lessons I planned myself. I have been teaching them thoroughly and I taking all the time that the kids need to do it, and I've been seeing results. The kids are smiling and feeling more successes, and for me...it feels good to think that maybe I've still got it.

6 comments:

EJG said...

In other words, you've been a good teacher.

Nice to know there are still a few out there able to do their thang!

MJ said...

You SOOOO have still got it. (That sentence is just wrong but you get my meaning.) We're so lucky to have you!

BJNR said...

You mean to tell me you're allowed to teach "outside the box"!?!?!?!? I want to teach on your planet!

JSG said...

Did I imply that I'm ALLOWED??? I'm just doing it.

Liz said...

I can tell you from the perspective of a grateful parent and friend that those kids are extremely fortunate. You will never be able to do anything other that what you are doing now, under the radar or not. You are a great teacher and there is no way you would allow yourself to be anything less. That's just one of the many things I have loved about you all these years as a parent of one of your students and a friend.

Cora Spondence said...

Oh baby! I do believe you just went rogue! Welcome to the dark side!